Skip to main content

Self Help Books Are The Bane Of Humanity

Breaking News! Theshigen Navalingam hates Self Help books! I absolutely loathe self help books with a burning passion. Why the hate? The self help genre is like a parasite that feeds on the insecurities of the people and the feeble minded. It is an abomination of written words... words that don't actually tell you anything new, but people just seem addicted to it.

I attribute it to the need, the desire, the hunger for positive self reinforcement. We all love being told how special we are(I have an issue with this, but I won't go on a rant about that in this blog post), how much god loves us, or how lovely we are, intelligent, smart, beautiful, talented, gifted and the verbiage assault goes on and on. You don't need a book to tell you this, just talk to a friend. Yeah, talk, communicate with others, don't expect magic solutions from these books.

Because the only thing these books lack is a solution to anything. Suggestions are clichéd and you've probably heard them like a million times but yet... they always get to you don't they? We are suckers for the positivity drug. Hopelessly addicted, unless of course, you decide to open your eyes and see the futility and lameness in the words of these so called elucidating book genre.

Sure, they might be creative in the way they present these oft repeated points, but heck... Tolkien's The Lord Of The Rings is creative as well! Why don't people read something with more depth to it? Stop supporting a rubbish dump, shelf space wasting category of books? And all you self help book writers... you are vampires, blood suckers feeding on the vulnerable to make a quick buck. Have a heart and write something worthwhile.

Rant out...


PS: I hate the self help genre more than romance novels... I DO NOT read romance novels(which I think are tripe as well, but at least they aren't claiming to be miracle drugs)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orwell Made Me Queer

George Orwell(1903-1950) famously known for his work 1984, was a master of the prose. I posit that the words he had written in the opening chapter of Homage to Catalonia stands as a vivid painting of the landscape of a Catalonia swept up by revolutionary fervour. I dare say his description is even more haunting and real than the video documentaries produced on the Spanish Civil War. Here's a short example: "The revolutionary posters were everywhere, flaming from the walls in clean reds and blue that made the few remaining advertisements look like daubs of mud. Down the Ramblas( NOTE : La Rambla is a street in Barcelona ), the wide central artery of town where crowds of people streamed constantly to and fro, the loudspeakers were bellowing revolutionary songs all day and far into the night. And it was the aspect of the crowds that was the queerest thing of all. In outward appearance it was a town in which the wealthy classes had practically ceased to exist." Hom...

Homage To Catalonia - Someday I Shall Have Coffee at Huesca

Homage to Catalonia is one of the best(if not the best) wartime accounts from on the the best writer of our times. Serving with the leftist POUM militia(Partido Obrero de Unificación Marxista), Homage to Catalonia captures the optimism and idealism of revolutionary Spain. It then explores the mundaneness of trench warfare, which was more like non warfare. The treachery, living in fear of being outed, street fighting in Barcelona all vividly expressed. Even in the humdrum nature of it all, George Orwell writes a captivating account that manages to share with its readers the horrors and poor conditions of those in the front line and the political backstabbing from those that are far away from the actual fighting. A turbulent history of Spanish history with a huge variety of political entities fighting against fascism and against themselves. Homage to Catalonia ends with the hauntingly prescient paragraph in which Orwell expresses his disdain for his fellow En...

I Baulk At The Word Moderation

The word moderation is often thrown about by politicians and the intelligentsia(it is often the politicians though that receive my ire). Malaysia a land of moderates. Moderate politics, moderate Muslims... moderate policies... moderate society. I find it utterly revolting I say. Before I cause you to cringe in confusion, let me first define the word moderation. From dictionary.com: the quality of being moderate; restraint; avoidance of extremes or excesses; temperance. That's all jolly and well. But the word in Malaysia has been twisted into a sick and perverted joke of itself. A vapid excuse for inaction and mediocrity. Let me say that again MEDIOCRITY. Moderation doesn't mean giving way to bullies in for the sake of not 'hurting' their oh so fragile feelings. And it certainly doesn't mean being complacent and satisfied with a placid lifestyle. I've often heard people say way too often and rather glibly that they are a moderate. Which essentially transl...